Thursday, November 15, 2007

The theory of everything

I love physics. The love the terminology. Who wouldn't love quarks and string theories? I adore physics geeks. I love that they try to explain the universe and this is just the coolest breakthrough ever.
An impoverished surfer has drawn up a new theory of the universe, seen by some as the Holy Grail of physics, which has received rave reviews from scientists.

Garrett Lisi, 39, has a doctorate but no university affiliation and spends most of the year surfing in Hawaii, where he has also been a hiking guide and bridge builder (when he slept in a jungle yurt).

In winter, he heads to the mountains near Lake Tahoe, Nevada, where he snowboards. "Being poor sucks," Lisi says. "It's hard to figure out the secrets of the universe when you're trying to figure out where you and your girlfriend are going to sleep next month."

The guy has literally discovered the theory of everything and it was created with simple mathematics. Of course, mathematically challenged as I am, I don't have a clue what they're talking about when it gets down the specifics but the picture of what's it's built on just knocks me out.

Look at that thing. It's the cosmic eyeball. Perfectly symmetric, all seeing, all knowing and completely arbitrary. Best explanation I've seen so far. [via]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My blog's reading level is ...
What's yours?

8:45:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Oh I saw that quiz. I think this one is jr. high and Newshoggers is undergrad college or something.

9:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this headline around and thought it was from the Onion

10:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is "redneck." Can you believe?

10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Describing this guy as a surfer is about as honest as describing Einstein as a sailor. My guess, and yes it's a guess, is that this will be found to be a re-statement of prior theory.

10:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain, perhaps prior theory will be a "subset" which was the case with Newtonian physics. It turned out to be a subset of relativity.

10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I leave the finer points of the debate on the theory's worth to you smart guys. I just love renegade theoreticians and the cosmic eyeball.

11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

SC, I think LOS is elementary school so don't feel bad.

11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Well you know, I may be a p-brane but I'm kind of an M-theory guy. I've never seen a popular press article about physics that was written by someone who understood the premise or got the story right. It's pretty easy to convince a reporter you've got cold fusion or perpetual motion or a water burning car engine.

From Van Gogh to Tesla, the public loves the lonely, musunderstood, outsider, romantic genius image and will overlook the facts to maintain the Newton-on-a-surfboard fiction.

If it's of any value, it will inevitably emerge, But I don't think any of us are equipped to test it. We will just have to wait and see.

1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. I don't think they can prove anything. I have always had a major problem with absolute values. My response is always, then explain mutations.

This theory is a long way from being proved surely, but I won't understand it anyway if it is proved. I do love the idea that they TRY to prove this stuff though.

7:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home