Sunday, October 14, 2007

Media bytes - Break on through (to the other side) edition

By Libby

Emerging from the tumbled bricks of the fallen paywall, the NYT pundits are on fire.

Miraculously, there's a Dowd column worth reading, mainly because she didn't write it. Stephen Colbert did.

Bob Herbert takes aim at the trivial pursuits of our "serious" media elites.

And Frank Rich breaks Godin's Law. Opening line, "'BUSH lies' doesn’t cut it anymore. It’s time to confront the darker reality that we are lying to ourselves."

Via Maru, a good YouTube, 37 GOP scandals in 4 1/2 minutes. Kind of a catchy soundtrack too. It's really not my kind of music, it works well with the piece.

On a lighter note, the latest attempt by the GOP to get the attention of the Daily Show's demographic is not a dismal failure. It comes really close to amusing.

And this is making the email rounds, but in case you haven't seen it, take the quiz to see which candidate agrees with you. Unsurprisingly Kucinich came up number one in my results but I was surprised to see Dodd at number two.

Meanwhile, this is one of those optical illusions that will drive you crazy. I can see her going in both directions and once I overcame my fixed expectation, it definitely looks like she switches randomly on her own and not on anything I do with focusing my eyes. I might note for those who try this at home that it does help to focus on her body only from the ass down. It’s the head turning and breasts that fools the brain I think.

And finally on a very sad note, our deepest condolences to Chris Muir who appears to have suffered a loss in the family. Tragic. She was younger than me. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours Chris.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

11 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

She's turning clockwise and nothing I can do will spin her the other way. I'm not sure that I believe much of this right brain personality thing though.

9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tied ron paul and john mcain on the quiz. But it was difficult to answer the questions as they seemed to disregard federalism. i am pro choice and anti death penalty but not at the federal level.

9:51:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It helps if you look at her from the waist down only and concentrate on the feet. It also took a good two or three minutes to adjust my perception before I could detect the change in direction. I think I also sort of looked at her sidelong until my brain adjusted and then I could see it even if I looked head-on.

Ron Paul came up pretty far down my list Lester, but I thought it was interesting to see which areas the candidates were in conflict with my views. Somewhat useful quiz I thought anyway.

12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, the dancer is a little freaky. While reading the text, I can see the dancer moving in a counter-clockwise direction but when I face it head on, she immediately changes direction.
Not surprisingly, Obama came up high on my list.

2:54:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Interesting. I picked that up on a comment thread and most of the people couldn't see her change, much less see her both ways.

3:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I get my eyes focused, I can move my head slightly and get her to continually change direction in one movement back and forth. I wonder what that means about my mental state? doesn't sound too promising, LOL.

6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

I seem to have a persistance of vision problem. Everything looks like word verification to me, and I am not very adept at that.

8:18:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Sis. Maybe it's a genetic thing. The same thing happened to me.


Swampcracker I'm sorry about the word verify. I hate it myself. Sometimes it takes me three tries to comment on my own damn blog and I would love to get rid of it but I was overwhelmed with spammers when I didn't have it. I should have used haloscan for comments but I didn't get around to it and if I switch, I'll lose all the blogger comments.

I'm such a technodope I just don't know how to do a work around for it.

8:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, Swampcracker, you take some incredible wildlife photos! I'm really partial to that genre.
BTW, I also struggle through that verify thing.

9:33:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Many thanks, Rockync

4:46:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Libby: Swampcracker I'm sorry about the word verify.

Libby, no need to apologize. Actually I kinda like WordVerif. It gets even more challenging after hyperventilating into a paper bag.

4:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home