Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hilary has a new video and Althouse has Monica envy

By Libby

In case you just got back from vacation on a remote tropical island with no internet access, the big buzz is Hillary's new campaign video. I don't feel like embedding it, but Shakes has it in a large format, along with commentary on Althouse's latest homeopathic Lunesta alternative, a post on the deeper sexual meaning of onion rings.

I'm not going to link to it, but I will send you Instaputz who seems to on to something with his analysis. So you think she's fanatizing about Bill Clinton or merely pondering how she's going to cadge her next Instalaunche out of Glenn Reynolds in that shot?

TS clearly touched a nerve with his post, since the imperious Ms. Annie snaps out her self-absorption long enough to deign to respond directly. I'm not going to link to that object lesson in tedium either. I'll spare you the risk of being bored comatose by translating Althouse's bottomless narcissim. She responds to her critics thusly -- ha, ha, you didn't really catch me in another drunken slip of the tongue, it was a trick to get you all to talk about ME. Everybody is linking to ME. It's all about ME. It's always all about ME. ME. ME. ME. I'm so interesting, I can't think of anything to say that isn't about ME.

Meanwhile, getting to Hillary's new campaign video, most people seem to love the spot, but frankly I don't get it. I've never watched the Sopranos so the hip references were lost on me. Speaking for my demographic, old people who don't stay abreast of pop culture, I didn't get the point and I don't care enough about what song she picked to click over to her site to find out. (Oh God, don't tell Althouse I said breast; she's touchy about that too.)

I can say however, that it beat the hell out of Gravel's uniquely creepy video. I really don't get the point of that one. Can anybody enlighten me on what the rock is supposed to symbolize?

Both videos and most of the others I've seen including Thompson's childish "takedown" of Michael Moore, exemplify what's wrong with our political campaign process. The candidates are so focused on being cutting edge hip with these ads, but all they accomplish is to futher trivialize the process. Call me old-fashioned, but I would be a lot more impressed with a video that simply says, "Hello. I am candidate X and this is what I would do if you elect me."

I'm not swayed by clever innuendo. Simple substance will get my vote and there's a lot more like me than you might think. We might not show up on the Neilson ratings, but we're watching the race and we're fed up with this steady diet of entertainment absent any information. If the candidates want to emulate the success of the Daily Show formula, they should remember that Jon Stewart delivers both.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger The Xsociate said...

I have a theory on Gravel's unusual video: This was his way of saying he’ll stare down his opponents with a steely eyed glare and leave his mark on the temporal waters of the Washington swamp.

Then again maybe he just wanted to teach his pet rock how to swim.

12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL X. That's a better interpretation than I could come up with.

2:39:00 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Speaking of emulating Jon Stewart, is that painful "conservative" version the 1/2 news hour still attempting to be humorous?

5:59:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I've never seen that show but I expect it's just as dismal as ever if it's still on th air.

10:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home