Saturday, June 16, 2007

Another Father's Day

Ah, Saturday. Isn't it sweet? I'll waste a huge amount of time this afternoon watching the U.S. Open on television. I'm not a much of a golf spectator, but I will watch the majors. I think it's because my mom had a crush on Arnold Palmer and watched golf on lazy Sunday afternoons back in the '60s.

Father's Day is upon us and is it just me or is Father's Day not such a big deal? It seems that it isn't even close to Mother's Day as a shopping and family extravaganza. My parents have both been dead for almost 40 years so for me it's been more of a vicarious experience lived through my wife and then my children and grandchildren.

I grew up without my father being around. My mother being the good Catholic she was, divorce wasn't an option, but neither was having a disfunctional alcoholic in the house. It wasn't discussed at any length but apparently my father was damaged by his experiences in the war having been a corpsman and going all the way to Japan. My mother was a sweet person but she merely wrote it off as a character flaw that was in no way an excuse for his behavior.

As I have gotten older I think of this man that I did not know. Growing up I was well cared for by my mom and grand parents but I do realize what I missed and I wonder how much better a man I would be if he had been around. The parents of my friends are passing on now with increasing regularity and I let them know how lucky they were to have had that influence well past their own middle age.

Tomorrow, if your father is still around, give him a hug and say you love him. I would if I could.

Jim Martin

Thanks to Pete Abel and The Moderate Voice for the link.
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Due to family circumstances I grew up without an extended family; grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.I missed not having that kind of family connection, but I do have my Dad and he's been a guiding spirit all my life. You can bet I'll give him a big hug and tell him I love him. I do that every chance I get and I am very grateful that he is still here.

10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Way to go Rocky!

12:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Martin: Reading this piece and all the others on the page by you this morning... You are indeed a man. With heart. And mind. And spirited, as well. And no doubt, slightly odd. That's code for good. Your family story is my story is many people's story; We weren't from Bedford, but we too went out as an army of young people; many cut down by one thing or another. Whenever I see one like you still standing, and strong. Well, I am proud. I understand what it took. From dr.e over at themoderatevoice, (Clarissa Pinkola Estés) glad to meet your aquaintance.

12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

m.q.q.
Thank you.

5:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home