Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tagged!

Yikes. I've been tagged by both Michael J.W. Stickings and Michael van der Galien with the same meme. I have to admit I'm a little shy about playing the game with this brainy bunch. I suppose my hippie roots are going to show, but here goes.

1) Name a book that you want to share so much that you keep giving away copies.

Mad Laughter, an autobiography by dear friend Jules Siegel. To open the cover of this book is to step into the chaos of a life well lived by nobody's rules but his own. It's a crazy and uplifting story that I share with others, not only because I love Jules, but because it's such a good read. One of these days, I really have to write a real review for it.

2) Name a piece of music that changed the way you listen to music.

I've always considered music to be as essential as oxygen to my life so there's a lot of works that changed the way I listen. Wheels of Fire by The Cream was the first to expand my horizons from folk and pop and I still love the music from that era. Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin and The Youngbloods are some of my favorites. The Herschler Brothers led me to my appreciation of local singer songwriters. Tom McClung and Archie Shepp taught me to love jazz. Mozart, Bach, Tsaikowskyand Segovia brought me to classical music. And the NPR opera program led me to an appreciation of that form later in life.

3) Name a film you can watch again and again without fatigue.

Any of the classics with Bogart, Errol Flynn, Clark Gable or Vincent Price. Anything by Hitchcock.

4) Name a performer for whom you suspend all disbelief.

George C. Scott and Dustin Hoffman. Both, over the body of their work, have convinced me their characters are real.

5) Name a work of art you’d like to live with.

Just off the top of my head. A house built by Gaudi. I love religious icons so I'd say The Pieta. I'd also like a Seurat, a Monet, a Gauguin, a Klee, a Magritte and a Calder mobile.

6) Name a work of fiction which has penetrated your real life.

Lord of the Rings. I first read it when I was about 13 and wanted to live in Middle Earth. I'd also say 1984 and Brave New World. I read those when I was 12 and they profoundly affected my view of governments. In retrospect one could say they formed the core of the conspiracy theorist in me.

7) Name a punch line that always makes you laugh.

I'm terrible at remembering punch lines and I have a dry sense of humor so I don't usually laugh with the crowd. The only punch line that really consistently amuses me is from a cartoon.
"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat."
I loved that bit. In fact I loved the series. I wish someone would ressurect it again.

Update: I forgot to tag someone else. I'm going to tag Jules Siegel.
Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Libby, thanks for answering the questions. It's fun (indeed) and interesting imo. It tells one quite some about the person, doesn't it?

1:32:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It was fun Michael. Thanks for asking me to play.

And don't tell anyone, but I used to participate in a LOTR role playing game as well. I was Galadriel. And I still want to live in Middle Earth.

1:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are people in Europe who bascially live their lives as hobbits. this was even before the movie. they drink vodka with food coloring in it and call it hobbit berry wine or something.

2:54:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Is that true Lester or are you just joshing me again?

3:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no it's true. it was an article in vice a few years back I'll try and find it

3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'd love to see it but no pressure. Personally, I want to live like an elf.

5:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home