Monday, January 29, 2007

How many marched?


I've been trying to find some crowd shots of the peace rally last weekend. The wrongwingnuts were making light of the turnout and the press, although they turned out to cover it, were playing it cautious with the numbers, so I went to the people for some perspective. I took the two shots here from resistance media who was on the ground. And I took a quick cruise through flickr and found a pretty good gallery of shots.

The street theater and the clever signs get all the attention, but it's clear there were lots of ordinary Americans there. So many that the line stalled. My guess is "tens of thousands" understated the tally. I understand the crowd stretched all the way back to the Memorial. It looks like at least close to a hundred thousand to me.


Of course we'll never know for sure, but it occurred to me that with satellite imagery, the White House probably has a pretty good count.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger nolocontendere said...

It's my understanding that only police helicopters are allowed up over the capitol. We're just going to get crowd estimates from the cops, who usually minimize rallies like this one. Very impressive turnout for the middle of winter. I consider it the first ever demonstration in support of impeachment.

4:45:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I also thought it was an impressive turnout for the middle of winter. It's too bad they didn't get more network news coverage. I think that's the difference between now and the 60s demonstrations. In those days, the news stations actually covered news instead of celebrity gossip.

11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home