Saturday, January 27, 2007

Taking it to the streets

I've been looking for coverage of the peace rally all day and although it got more mainstream attention than usual, I wasn't able to find much so far. I assume some YouTube videos will surface in the next day or so and I understand CSPAN covered it but I see nothing on their website about it at the moment. Even the usual Rightotopians weren't posting any snarky photos of the odd characters these events always draw.

And of course we don't have an accurate count of the attendance because the White House is afraid to get one and doesn't allow the Park Service to take it anymore. The few photos I've seen have been hard to read but I'd bet the AP's estimate of tens of thousands understates the numbers.

DownWithTyranny has a post with a good collection of links. I thought this quote from the wife of a soldier summed up the current mood in America the best.
"My husband deployed last June to Iraq," she said. "He is an Army infantry officer currently patrolling the streets of Baghdad. And I just have to say I'm sick of attending the funerals of my friends. I have seen the weeping majors. I have seen the weeping colonels. I am sick of the death."
I'm sick of it too. I'm sick of the death and the deceit and the damage done to our constitutional rights on a daily basis all in the name of a sham war.

I wish I could have been at the rally but I marched in spirit with the heartier souls who were able to brave the cold and appreciate them for manifesting my personal discontent on the physical plane. I only wish they would get more credit for putting their boots on the ground for what they believe in.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

Actually, I posted the "9-II was an inside job" picture...

1:11:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That was pretty good B but I bet there some goofier stuff there.

10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home