Thursday, September 28, 2006

Senate endorses torture program

I'm just getting around to reading the particulars on newly passed "compromise" torture bill. Bush got everything he wanted. I want to vomit. There's no pretty way to spin this. Fifty one senators voted to toss out the Geneva Conventions and legalize torture. Including I suppose the three alleged Republican "mavericks" who were so concerned about the legislation.

The NYT editorial runs down the list of what this bill destroys, the most important being habeas corpus and judicial review. They just blew out the foundation of our legal system.

This is not the America I know and love. They just took the American dream and turned it into a nightmare
Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember Carlin's "it's called an american dream because you have to be asleep to live it"? :)

3:02:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I love that line.

11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm depressed about this too. I really thought he'd lose on this one. Sadly, Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D)voted yes. It almost made me reconsider voting for her in November, but then I read something by Jon Conners that made me reconsider. He said (paraphrasing here) that without their Republican majority the issue would never have been raised, and that's why we need to get a Democratic majority and some balance back in this country so we're not faced with issues like this again.

1:32:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It's pretty disappointing that the Democrats didn't fight this Kathy. Freaking scaredy cats. Afraid the big bad GOP might paint them as appeasers. Idiots.

1:50:00 PM  
Blogger No Blood for Hubris said...

Two Democrats in New Jersey voted yes.

Time to let each and every vile pro-torture voter know how vilely they've voted.

3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Too many Democrats caved on this one Hubris. It's just sad and disgusting. I haven't a list of the votes yet, but I want to all 51 of the idiots and let them know how vilely they voted.

10:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home