Friday, May 12, 2006

Ring Wing Nut House goes nutty

Rick Moran at Right Wing Nut House puts up a somewhat hysterical post in response to what he calls, "the hysterical drama queens of the left," related to the concerns raised over the latest revelations of just how widely the NSA's net was spread. He says:
I’m sick of it. I’m sick of the exaggerations about the “danger” that the country is becoming a dictatorship, a word they throw around with the practiced ease of someone who has no idea what an actual dictatorship looks like. I’m sick of the ginned up outrage against anything and everything the Administration has done in the past 5 years to protect us. I’m sick to death of these immature, emotionally unstable, intellectually dishonest philistines whose foot stomping tirades have begun to resemble the wailings of teenage girls who put on melodramatic, angst ridden histrionics over the tiniest of slights.
I'm sick of it too. I'm sick of otherwise intelligent bloggers refusing to acknowledge the painful truth that not only did our president lie to us, his policy decisions, driven by politically partisan concerns, endangered us more. We are not better protected than we were on 9/11 and Bush is out there swaggering around with his cowboy indiplomacy trying to stir up trouble all over the world. Doing a damn good job of it too. Why aren't the right's kewl kids getting all jacked up about the vast increase in terrorist incidents in the last three years?

I'm sick of being treated like a deranged dilettante for suggesting that the demonstrable pattern of deceit and disastrous results from this administration are a legitimate basis for concern over future abuses and circumventions of the law. I'm fed up with being called treasonous for exercising my right to petition my government via public dissent, to abide by the rule of law. And I'd like to ask just how many dictatorships Rick has lived in that qualifies him to be the arbiter of what they are not? Me, I look to the lessons of history and present day events have a hauntingly familiar ring.

Rick seems to think it significant that the first poll comes in at 2-1 with a general unconcern among the public about the matter, the implication being we should temper our rhetoric in response. You know I'm not much for polls, but by that logic, I have one that says 70% of the country disapproves of the job Bush is doing as president, so shouldn't he be calling for Bush supporters to temper theirs as well?

I'm sorry he took this hot-headed position. I was rather counting on him to recognize the danger of the scheme. As Palast pointed out in the post below, it's not just the datamining per se, it's what they could and surely will do with it. The potential for abuse -- wilfull or accidental -- is just too enormous to let pass without scrutiny.

It's not at all unreasonable to ask for an accounting of how the program is being employed, along with some appropriate proofs, since Bush repeatedly denied the program included this kind of datamining right up until the leak came out.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home