Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Loving hate

As most of you know, my new hobby is hanging around right wing blogs. It's not the best hobby for someone whose blood pressure is already pretty bad, and I bite my tongue so often it's a miracle I haven't taken it clean off, but regardless of the sometimes truly horrifying commentary I see there, I've become fond of many of them as people. I like to think some of them have become a little fond of me because that's how we're going to build a people's movement and take the system back. By discovering that we aren't so different and the enemy isn't [insert hated ethnic and/or political group here], it's the corrupt people who govern us.

I've survived as a regular on these blogs by holding my piece. I rarely comment on the hate threads that I find so appalling. But I read it all and try to understand why they hold such contempt towards people they don't know. Tell you the truth I still don't get it and one of the recent disturbing trends I've been noticing is the widening of Islamo-hatred to include all Muslims and the religion itself. I wondered how this meme was spreading.

Dean Esmay in a brilliant post has the answer. It seems there's a particularly vile viral email making the rounds and he dissects and debunks the disinformative diatribe bit by bit. An easy enough task but a lenghty one and he does it superbly. I wish I had posted that. It's well worth the time to read in full.

It astounds me that the people who pitch this meme don't realize they're doing the government's dirty work -- for free. While they foment hate and suspicion between the classes, the government is quietly taking over all our lives. [via]
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

You have a stronger stomach than I do. I don't know if its menopause or "outrage fatigue," but I've curtailed the amount of reading I've been doing lately.

Unfortunately, I've also been remiss in defending the good people who blog - like you. I could literally spend an hour or so a day commenting on the trash those jackasses at the DetNews say about you, but I've come to the conclusion that they are part of the 31% of Americans who will continue to blindly defend the Bush administration no matter what.

11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oops, I meant to add one more thing. I noticed Pete left a disparaging comment about your post on net neutrality. It was obvious he doesn't even understand what's at stake.

I read a description of net neutrality that I thought explained the situation pretty well:

Imagine you're in your Ford Mustang on I-75 during rush hour. You move to the left to enter the fast lane when all of a sudden you see a sign that says "GM Vehicles Only." It turns out that GM paid your state a lot of money to give their customers an edge over the competition.

11:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My DetNews critics are a lost cause. They don't even read my posts for content, they get as far as choice of words out of context and jump on it and are always criticizing what I say. Clearly they don't read the links or they simply don't understand of quotations.

I gave up defending myself a long time ago. I think most of the readers know these guys are a crock. But thanks for the many times you leapt to my defense.

5:12:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Gagne said...

Libby, except for voting for Gore and admiring your daughter (I don't even know her) we're more alike than not (though it may be hard to tell from StoneSoupMusings.

I invite you to visit Everyone Takes a Turn and see if we can't find more things in common, even if we do it from different political points of view.

I'm also curious how you have time to blog here, make comments elsewhere, and blog for the Detroit News. That implication everyone's ganging up on you is interesting. I've skipped reading them 'cause I would rather the Detroit News post blog articles from the blogosphere in beneral rather than starting their own. How can people have time to post in so many different places?

7:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Thomas. I'll be sure to pop by your place. As to how I do it, it's simple. I have no other life outside of my job and blogging. Pathetic I know, but that's my life.

7:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home