Saturday, October 03, 2009

Wherein Joe Scarborough surprises me

I recently started following Joe Scarborough on Twitter, mainly so I could rag on him when he unfairly demonizes "teh left." To tell the truth, I didn't even know what he looked like and I've never actually watched his show. I've followed his work mainly through critical blog posts by others.

Mostly he pisses me off, but I'm finding he's not as big an ideologue as I thought and is more thoughtful than I expected. Still, I was surprised by this post thanking Obama for trying to get the Olympics for Chicago. While he still makes some annoying false equivalences about the criticisms of Bush and Obama, his overall take on the partisan rancor that pollutes our discourse was very good. Like this:
Today on Morning Joe, NBC News Legend Tom Brokaw remarked to Pat Buchanan about how the level of partisanship is even more intense today than during the depths of the Watergate crisis. Brokaw was commenting on Congressman Grayson's comments, but he could have easily been talking about Joe Wilson or death panels or the bizarre claim that the President "hates all white people."

Some of the rhetoric is dangerous. But what we saw from some conservative corners regarding the President's failed Olympics bid was just plain stupid.
I haven't followed him long enough to know if this is genuine or just a "man in the middle" schtick but either way, it was heartening to see at least one self-identified conservative who isn't so consumed by hate for our president that they would cheer for a US defeat, even of something of as small importance as hosting the games.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he's the real thing. I've watched snippets of his show over the past couple of years, but started earnestly paying attention to him a few months ago. I watch his show, listen to his radio show and I've read his books. He is solidly conservative on the issues, but he's also amazing open minded and civil. He has a great "green" voting record and would like to see the government stay out of issues like gay marriage and abortion. I guess he's a federalist more than anything. I hope he runs for office again. The Republican party needs people like him as their leader.

11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have to say I've been surprised to find him much more civil than I expected. And smarter. Goes to show you shouldn't judge a person on other people's opinions.

12:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Larkspur said...

Sorry. Do not like him. But I think I must be related to him, because he looks like all of my boy cousins, and a few of my girl cousins, and I'm not going to disclose his resemblance to moi.

9:21:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't *like* him either Larkspur. I find him mostly arrogant and annoying, but I am surprised that I didn't end up disliking him more once I checked him out. He does occassionally say something I agree with.

But he's not unattractive. There would be worse people to resemble physically. :)

10:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home