Wednesday, August 26, 2009

RIP Ted Kennedy

There will be no shortage of eulogies for Ted Kennedy today, so I leave it to those who knew him better to opine at length. Surely, I can't do better than Joe Biden's moving statement. I'll just say that he was a complicated man, far from perfect. He was my Senator for most of my adult life. He made mistakes. He sometimes infuriated me. More often he inspired me to work for the common good.

But perhaps the best eulogy of all is to simply let Ted Kennedy speak for himself. His words on health care and his thoughts on raising the minimum wage show the measure of the man and speak louder than all his admirers and critics combined.

At the end of the day, Kennedy was a man born into privilege who mainly used the power that comes with that status to fight for the neediest among us. Whatever his failings, he deserves the tributes more than the criticisms.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

.
Among that group of bastards, by which I mean the rich in general and the Senate in particular, Teddy was one of the few who was worth a damn. With all his flaws, and ours, we've lost a champion. Let he who is without sin throw the first stone. And may Teddy be in Heaven a full half hour before they put Glenn Beck on the TV in the bar there. Slainte!
.

7:15:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Amen Guy.

8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

. . . and forgetting long-passed mischiefs, we mercifully preserve their bones and piss not upon their ashes.

-Thomas Browne-

9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Great quote Fogg. You're so literate.

2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Not really, I just play one on the internet.

But honestly, I was not prepared for the vile intensity of the hate being spewed on Twitter and the blogs. You'd think the man had started a war that destroyed a whole country.

4:04:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I decided not to read any of the hateful stuff. I read one piece about reax among the leading voices of the nutosphere on the first day and decided it wasn't worth reading. It's so predictable anyway.

5:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home