Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's in a name?

You may recall the story a while back about the grocery store that refused to inscribe a birthday cake for a kid named Adolf Hitler Campbell. Well, this week Adolf and his younger siblings, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie were taken from their parents by the state of New Jersey.

So far no one has offered an explanation for why the children were taken. I sincerely hope it's because the parents were discovered to be neglectful or abusive in some other way. I would hate to think we've fallen so low in protecting civil rights in this country that kids could be wrenched from their homes simply because of their godawful names.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger (O)CT(O)PUS said...

"But a name doesn't make a person. The person makes the person. My son is going to learn to love. None of my kids are going to have a bone of hate in their body ... I'm not changing the name."

Acute child abuse on account of stupidity.

7:33:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

I thought they sounded mentally unbalanced. My guess is that they got the attention they wanted and were found lacking as parents.

11:54:00 PM  
Blogger No Blood for Hubris said...

Well, here in my librul state, due to budgetary considerations, it takes a whole f*ckwad of abuse and neglect before anything like that happens.

Pfft!

Let them eat cake??

12:48:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

8pus, they are really stupid names.

Rocky, that's what I'm thinking. It's likely the attention they got from the cake thing uncovered some neglect or something. Although the news reports so far, say that wasn't the case.

Hubris, I hear you. It takes a lot more than stupid names to get kids removed in most places.

9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Not that there's much in the way of consistency to it. I'm fond of the Freakonomics analysis of names and why people who formerly produced Jimmys, Jacks and Bills now dub their Male offspring Wyatt, Cody and Taylor and call their girls Madison.

Things change, only the pathos remains.

For what it's worth, the Hitler family in the US changed the name to Hiller, showing more good sense than these Bozos. I hope the kids grow up to sue the parents.

10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm not one for breaking up families but in this case, the kids may well be better off.

11:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home