Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hell hath no fury...

Not really surprising, considering the reaction to Kathleen Parker's mild criticism of Palin, but now it's official. Christopher Buckley, has been banished from the National Review, the magazine his father William F. Buckley started. Read the whole post but here's the closer:
So, I have been effectively fatwahed (is that how you spell it?) by the conservative movement, and the magazine that my father founded must now distance itself from me. But then, conservatives have always had a bit of trouble with the concept of diversity. The GOP likes to say it’s a big-tent. Looks more like a yurt to me.

While I regret this development, I am not in mourning, for I no longer have any clear idea what, exactly, the modern conservative movement stands for. Eight years of “conservative” government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance. As a sideshow, it brought us a truly obscene attempt at federal intervention in the Terry Schiavo case.

So, to paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan: I haven’t left the Republican Party. It left me.
At this rate, soon there will be no one left but raging idiots and the morally bereft who feed on them.

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "National Review" not "The National Review"

9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well you might have noticed I didn't capitalize the, hence the correct interpretation would the magazine called National Review. But thanks for the spell check.

10:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home