Saturday, November 03, 2007

Kucinich seeks to impeach Cheney

By Libby

I love his spirit on this move but I wish his timing was better.

Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) announced today that he will be offering a privileged resolution on the House floor next week that will bring articles of impeachment against the Vice President, Richard B. Cheney.

“The momentum is building for impeachment,” Kucinich said. “Millions of citizens across the nation are demanding Congress rein in the Vice President’s abuse of power.

Everything he says is true and I suppose he had to wait until he had a decent amount of co-sponsors to bring it forward, but it feels a little like too little, too late. It would have been much more impressive a couple of months ago. It would have actually helped a couple of years ago. As it stands, although I'm sure he's acting on principle, it smacks a bit of opportunism in order to get some badly needed attention for his campaign.

And let's face it. It's largely symbolic at this point. It will never pass and will only result in a public smackdown by his fellow Dems and bolster Cheney's image as being untouchable. However, if it throws even a pebble to trip up Cheney on his relentless march to bombing Iran, it will worth it -- I guess.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that vote was awesome. I watched some of it on Span. People think it was ridiculous but as a citizen it was great to see. kucinich doesn't fuck around. he essentially got us out of kosovo with a bi partisan coaltion that contained the farthest reaches of both ideologies

9:27:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I wish I had seen it. I don't think I get CSPAN with my lousy cable package.

10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home