Tuesday, April 02, 2013

What's in a name

Biggest buzz on my interwebs today was about the super colossal revision of acceptable Big Media syntax. The AP Stylebook banished "illegal immigrant" from its lexicon. Meanwhile, the world breathlessly awaits to see if the NYT will follow suit. No. Seriously. Everybody is talking about it. I expect we'll have days of deep analysis on why it's good, bad or doesn't matter at all.

Haven't read a word beyond the headlines myself. All I have to say is, it's about damn time. Most of civil society stopped using it years ago. It's the contemporary version of wetback, mostly used to depersonalize a vital segment of our population pretty much for the sole purpose of justifying discrimination, if not obscuring criminal abuse. I'm glad AP did it, but can't help but think what took them so long?

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home