Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bob Woodward and me

I was a new stay at home mom when the Senate Watergate Committee convened. I watched untold hours of those hearings on the teevee. They were broadcast live on the networks, pre-empting regular programming. There were reams of newspaper reports. Actual convictions ensued. Sure there was a lot of theater, but it felt like a functioning government. And none of it would have happened without Woodward and Bernstein and a major metro newspaper willing to support their investigative work. Hard to believe, seeing what has become of it in the present day, that newspaper was the Washington Post.

Bob Woodward was a hero to me then. It's been more than a little sad to watch him degenerate into a completely self-absorbed, bitter old courtier. Even more tragic, reading today about the full extent of Woodward's hack job on Belushi shattered the last vestige of any respect I had left for him. It almost shakes my faith in his work on Watergate. [photo via wikipedia]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger merlallen said...

About the only thing I remember about that book is how pissed off I was at the author, I didn't even realize it was Woodward.

12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well your anger was justified.

9:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home