Friday, December 07, 2012

Leave that plant alone

A lot of people flagging Charlie Savage's piece on rumors the DOJ will be cracking down on Colorado and Washington state over the recently passed citizen initiatives to legalize recreational marijuana use. Not sure this is even real. There's a lot of words like "might be considering" here but I'll join the Greek chorus to say, if it's true, it's the dumbest, idea, ever.

Andrew thinks Obama should advocate for re-classifying pot out of Schedule One. A worthy project but I don't think Obama should be spending political capital on that either. It would likely lead to a media frenzy that would derail the momentum. But surely going after the states, and by inference the citizens, who passed the initiatives, many of whom also voted for the President, would be politically suicidal.

I don't need Obama to be proactive on moving this issue. I'm okay with allowing the changes to bubble up from the grass roots. It has been working well so far and we have far more serious problems to deal with right now. For one thing, if the DOJ is so bored they're looking for a fight, how about they address the horrendous mess of voter repression so sharply exposed only a month ago. Or prosecute a few more banksters. And if the DEA needs something to do, let them chase down meth labs. Those people are an actual danger to public safety. [photo via]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger merlallen said...

Obama doesn't have to run for office again.
I still wish that Sen Clinton had beat him in the primary, he's lucky he was running against Crash McCain and Willard or I wouldn't have bothered voting in either election for President.

7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I love her but don't think Hillary would have been any better. Was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. I know Obama and the Dems are going to piss me off. A lot. But we'll still get something out of it over four years. And no matter what, I don't think there will be a single day when I wake up and say, gee if only I had voted for Romney...

So there's that.

7:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home