Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

The crazy just never stops in the south. I'm actually a liberal who supports gun rights, but Jeebus, is nothing sacred? This strikes me as a taking gun rights to the extreme limit.
Louisiana state Rep. Henry Burns (R) has introduced a bill in the Louisiana House that would allow churches to institute a "security plan" enabling congregants with concealed weapons permits to carry guns into churches and temples.

According to a Burns spokesperson, "we buy fire extinguishers in case there's a fire," and allowing churchgoers to carry concealed is just the "final stage of security" for places of worship.
What kind of threat do they think they face? Unless they allow liberals or say an abortion doctor in their congregation, and most of them don't, who is threatening them? If anything they're the ones who threaten those who disagree with them. With my politics, I certainly wouldn't want to attend services where the crazy cons are packing concealed heat.

I won't be surprised if the bill passes though. Burns says he "believes he has the votes" and notes Arkansas passed a similar bill already. God can't rapture up these people soon enough for me.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger OpenMindedRepublican said...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/Mar/12/documents-shed-new-light-new-life-shooting/

For your consideration.

7:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Manish said...

fire extinguishers is the first choice of fireman to prevent from the fire on any place.

1:26:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

OMR, I remember that case but I also remember a case in Vermont where a guy was killed when he came in seeking asylum and wasn't threatening anybody. They just shot him because he was so freaked out. And of course there was Dr. Tiller. He got shot at church didn't he?

In any event, as you can see in this account, there was a lot of confusion and people weren't sure who the shooter was. Seems to me if everybody had guns, the chances of an innocent bystander being shot were pretty great. And they did have an armed guard anyway who was the one who brought the guy under control.

Also we're talking churches in the south which preachers routinely opine from the pulpit against liberals. Thinking the chances are greater that a liberal who dared to go to church and speak out would be shot in the parking lot afterwards by a hot headed conservative.

In any event, thinking more guns doesn't necessarily translate into more safety.

Manish, thinking chances are greater for a fire than they are for a crazy gunman to crash the service.

9:40:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

As far as I know there's no restriction on carrying guns in a Church in Florida, unless the Church itself bans it.

Not that I attend such places myself.

10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. I don't really attend church so I suppose I shouldn't judge. And it's probably of more concern that there's a growing movement to allow concealed guns in bars. Somehow alcohol and ammo doesn't strike me as a good combo either.

7:14:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Bars are one of the few places in FL you can't pack a concealed weapon. If it's a restaurant bar, you can sit at a table, but not on a bar stool.

One interesting restriction is against carrying "at a place of public nuisance." You'd think that would cover political rallies and churches and that loud party your neighbors are always throwing.

Yep, I'd think twice about going to the local stop-N-sock if I thought the good ol' boys were packing, but of course I would even if they weren't.

9:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home