Sunday, March 07, 2010

Cynical

Nice profile piece on David Axelrod in the NYT. I especially liked this bit.
When asked how he would assess his performance, Mr. Axelrod shrugged. “I’m not going to judge myself on that score,” he said. But then he shot back: “Have I succeeded in reversing a 30-year trend of skepticism and cynicism about government? I confess that I have not. Maybe next year.”
He's a good man and I'm glad he's advising Obama. If it's any comfort to him, I decided to give up cynicism for Lent this year. So far, so good.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Sorry, I'm suspicious about the folks who profess cynicism, that they are unable to understand what's going on and afraid to let ignorance show. but then what do I know?

9:16:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well, I suspect there are some who would fit that category Ruth, but I also think that some are truly cynical because they understand what's going on all too well.

But I also think some cynics are more impatient than truly jaded, particularly among the younger ones who grew up with the expectation of instant gratification.

9:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home