Monday, February 01, 2010

Supporting Obama

When I born Harry Truman was president. It was end of his term, so I don't remember him, but I do remember the rest of them. I have distinct memories of every president since Eisenhower. Obama may be imperfect. He's not the great leader I hoped for, but he's still the best president we've had in my lifetime. While I certainly don't agree with all his policies, he's the most engaged president we've ever had. He actually studies the problems and considers the big picture impact of his decisions.

I suppose you could make a case for Kennedy or Clinton on those grounds too, and maybe Kennedy was more inspirational in his leadership but those were different times. They didn't have to deal with the relentless scrutiny of the internets or the indiginities of the 24/7 news cycle. And I honestly think, for all his failings, that Obama truly cares about doing what's right for the future of our country well above the political implications or his personal enrichment. Moreso than any of the others.

And while I appreciate that blind loyalty is dangerous, and it's good to "hold them accountable," I don't feel the need to establish my creds by focusing on his faults and failures. The empath in me says this is a very hard job right now and he could use some support. I've decided to support him more than I criticize him. As they say, your mileage may vary.


[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger rockync said...

Good thing he has 3 more years to implement his plan. While I'm not happy with some of Obama's moves, I still think he is our best hope to recovery. I'm more pissed off at all the faux Dems in congress!

7:06:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm focusing my energy on Congress. Don't see the point of tearing apart Obama over stuff he can't really change on his own. And I'm not clear on why people think he can stand up to Congress without support from the base.

My bottom line is I'm going to use my energy mainly tearing up the GOPers and the Blue Dogs. They deserve it the most.

7:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home