Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I'm not afraid to die

I, along with some 30 million Americans, for reasons too complicated to explain don't have health insurance. This quote from The Nation perfectly sums up reality for the uninsured.
"Many stories expressed great, unshakeable fear that one medical emergency would ruin them. "I would say my wife and I are one medical emergency away from losing everything, but actually I've pretty much resigned myself in my head to the reality that if I have a medical emergency I am going to die," says a used bookseller in California."
This is my reality and having been without insurance for almost two years now, I'm made my peace with the situation. I just turned 58 years old recently. I've had a good life. I have few regrets. I'm single. Nobody really depends on me. It's not like I have a choice, but I sleep a lot better now that I realize I'm really not afraid to die. Frankly, there are days I'm more afraid I'll live too long.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Been there, for what it's worth, got through it and as you realize - facing that you may die isn't all that hard. Of course, I did stop smoking.

10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Ruth. I'm pretty much a fatalist. Think it doesn't matter what you do, or don't do, when your time is up, you're going to die. My only real fear is a long, lingering painful death. Or a lingering illness that doesn't hurt but diminishes my enjoyment of life.

7:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home