Monday, October 12, 2009

Are we making progress?

Breaking my embargo on linking to Politico for this rather nice profile on Think Progress. It mainly focuses on how TP has adjusted in the post-Bush environment and maintained and grown their influence on the narrative. But this offhand quote stuck at the end of the piece says volumes to me.
Shakir says he'd be "lying" if he claimed he "didn't think about traffic," and that the focus on right-wing media personalities helps bring readers in for more substantive conversations about, say, health care reform.
Even on the left side of the politisphere, snark sells better than substance. Hard to blame the MSM entirely for the decline of journalistic standards when we all focus on the peripheral stories to some extent.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

I've often said that if hit count is important to a blogger, he/she should post as a righty. Each week a new righty comes to my site. Hurls a couple insults my way. And before the week is over his new site has at least 50 to 100 followers.

I" a victim of my own good nature by allowing these people to achieve followings at my expense.

1:09:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I think they get their traffic from linking to each other. Hurling insults at you is just a way to establish their creds.

I guess to some extent, hits does equal influence, but at some point it's just a circle, not really reach. Think that's true no matter if it's a small blog or Faux News. Influence depends on how big the circle is.

1:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home