Friday, September 25, 2009

Dancing with the Devil

I managed to stay awake long enough last night to catch the big story in the local news. It seems they have this benefit concert every year that is very popular with the local residents. But this year it's not being well received among the fundie crowd.
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - The organizers of a local music festival have made a controversial decision to give the money raised by their event to an organization promoting evolution and atheism. The Charlotte Pop Fest '09 is a music festival taking place in Charlotte's Myers Park area this weekend. The event features some well-known local and national bands.

Last year, proceeds from the Pop Fest went to an international children's charity. The proceeds from this year's Charlotte Pop Fest will be going to the Richard Dawkins Foundation. Dawkins is one of the best known evolutionists in the world and is also an atheist who wrote a book called The God Delusion.

Pop Fest organizer James Deem says what he's trying to do is raise awareness for "science and science education."
Sweet Jesus! Real science? For the love of their God, the man believes in evolution rather than some guy in the sky waving his hand and willing the entire universe into existence at the blink of an eye. Can't have that. The concert promoter already lost one sponsor over it. I won't be surprised if it ends up being cancelled.

I remember when I was a kid, the way religionists would reconcile evolution with the magic hand of God theory was that God willed evolution. While there are other reasons for "why we are here" that I've heard and liked better since then, I could live with that explanation. As much as we know about evolution, I don't believe anyone has fully explained the universe yet. Why not some omnificent force?

I've never begrudged the fundies the comfort they find in their religion. Sometimes I even envy them for being able to sustain a belief on pure faith. Sounds like it's easier than maintaining my stoic cynicism. Too bad the fundies aren't equally tolerant. Ironically one the events at this festival will be held in a area called Freedom Park. I guess by that they mean, free to believe or we do, or you're free to leave. Must be in their Bible somewhere.

[Thanks to PZ Myers for the link.]

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

I had a long treatise about closed minded religious zealots ready to publish but I figured the people that needed to read it were praying over what silly message they would write on their tea party signs.

I hope this is acceptable.

10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Truth. Nice to see you. Been a while.

12:47:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Tolerance and democracy are heresy and have been capital crimes for most of Christian history.

10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Too true Fogg.

10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Hi Libby. I've gotten to where I just have more blogs than I can keep up with. You're still #1. Your site showed me I wasn't the only Lib. In a way, you restored my faith in humanity.

9:58:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It comforts me to know you're out there too. And I understand about not having time. I rarely get around to my blogroll these days. I'm way overdue for a cruise to see what my favorite bloggers are doing.

8:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home