Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's in a name?

Spent some time interacting with the DetNews crowd in comments today. They've been pretty quiet since I've been posting some stuff they can't easily refute or complain about. And as usual, more links than time, so here's some short takes worth reading.

I love Al Franken. Nice to see someone inside the Beltway who remembers the Fourth Amendment.

I don't actually recommend you watch this clip. I think I'm going to need years of therapy because I succumbed to curiosity and watched Tom Delay on Dancing with the Stars.

I've been pretty much ignoring Glenn Beck lately, and I haven't read this series. It's long but I've been seeing great reviews on it. This is Part Two of Alexander Zaitchik's biographical piece. Link to Part One is there and Part Three is still in the works. People are saying it offers great insights into how he became such a lunatic. I may read it when all three are up.

Speaking of Beck, his impending hometown Glenn Beck Day continues to generate controversy. The mayor is gung ho and says his email is running about 50/50 pro and con. But one of the local Councilmen says, "Of several hundred e-mails I have had, there are maybe three supporting it. All of them talk about the fact that they will shop no longer in Mount Vernon." Oddly, no outside press is going to be allowed at the sold out event where he'll be speaking. Odd, since he's such an attention whore. Also hear there are demostrations planned for outside of the event. Looking forward to that coverage.

For those of you on Twitter, there's a Twitter worm spreading via Direct Messages. It's apparently more clever than most and likely to come in under the name of someone you know and trust. I certainly wouldn't have opened it, any more than I would have the one that allegedly came from John Robinson asking me to join his Mafia game. But I did get caught by one when I first started there and had to change my password, so better to be forewarned I guess.

And I spent some time on Twitter this morning, reading the live tweets of the UN meeting. The big buzz was Gadhafi spoke for 90 minutes and made no sense whatsoever. But what amused me was every single person spelled his name differently, including the MSM guys. Guess I'm not the only one that noticed. Jake Tapper tweeted this fun fact. The Library of Congress recognizes 112 different spellings of the name of the Libyan leader. ABC News just ruled: "Moammar Gadhafi" but apparently there's no way to misspell it. How many people can say that about their name?

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

There's only one way: معمر القذافـي

3:06:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Ha. It looks so pretty in that language, not at all like the man.

8:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home