Friday, January 16, 2009

Bush's farewell address

The best I can say for Bush's farewell speech is it was mercifully short. It was so boring, apparently Cheney dozed off for a moment. But leaving aside the robotic delivery, the sense I came away with was that Bush really doesn't understand how awful he was and maybe doesn't fully grasp that in three days, he's not going to be a revered former leader. He's always going to be a failed president.

I didn't really expect him to apologize, but the pep talk using the same banal slogans that defined his fraudulent policies and the brazenly false claims of his 'successes' struck me as so out of touch as to signal a psychotic break. I think he's been "pushing the propaganda" for so long that he actually believes it himself.

David Corn has a list of the failures he didn't address. It's not comprehensive but it's long enough to partly document the epic fail. This bizarre farewell speech will only cement the image of a man-child president who couldn't see outside of a self-created bubble of alternative reality. History, I think, will not be kind to him.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said.

I give it 20 - 30 years max before the consensus is that he was the worst ever - hopefully a lot sooner.

4:26:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Brian. And thanks for putting me on your blogroll. I'm adding you this morning to mine. Nice blog you got there.

10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I agree, Bush's marginal characteristics will become more apparent -- eventually, but remember the Nixon Renaissance that took decades of ever developing evidence and testimony to erode.

Unlike Nixon, Bush wasn't demented enough to record everything and I fear it will be 50 years before scholars can peruse what should be public property and the obvious becomes obvious to all.

10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg, I'm afraid with all the purging of emails and shredding of records, we may never know the full extent of their criminiality. I'm figuring eventually some of the key players will confess on their death beds or something.

11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home