Saturday, August 02, 2008

Border Security Confiscating Laptops

expatbrian

We shouldn't let this story slide under the radar even though it's not really new. Customs Agents have apparently increased the number of laptop computers that they seize and "detain" indefinitely at border crossings. They're also detaining Ipods, cell phones, and other digital storage devices in case the boogie man is hiding in your memory card. The devices are being confiscated from foreign and American citizens alike.

As the Washington Post reported yesterday, Border Patrol and Customs agents can now "detain" laptops "for a reasonable period of time" to "review and analyze information." Article here.

They don't need probable cause under the new policy. Doesn't matter if you're a U.S. citizen or foreign visitor. Officials can hold the laptops indefinitely. Or hard drives, flash drives, cellphones, iPods, pagers, beepers, video and audio tapes. Ditto papers, documents, books, pamphlets, even litter.

What have they found so far? Some videos of bombs going off in Iraq, some Jihadhist literature, whatever that is, and some intellectual property violations. OMG!!

This begs the question, what about leftist blogger files. I have backup files full of anti Bush articles and pictures. Do I need to delete these before I visit in December? I suppose I should play it safe and clean up my hard drive.

But isn't it a shame that I have to? I seem to remember when we all had the freedom to dissent, even against our own government or president. And there was a time when personal privacy was a given. Not to mention freedom of speech. Not anymore. Now what we have is the re-emergence of Nazism. All Bush lacks is the moustache.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'd consider leaving it at home and renting one when you get here. They're actually confiscating the whole computer, not just reading the drives and it takes months to get it back.

8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I've heard enough about flag pins and flags on airplanes and fist bumps and other nauseating trivia.

I want to know what the next president is going to do about the escalating outrage count.

I've been reading about their new trick of delivering dope while disguised as UPS men and then busting you for receiving dope.

Does anyone really think planting evidence on your computer is beyond them?

10:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good advise Libby. I wonder if I will have to leave my digital camera there too just in case I have a picture of ANYTHING THIS ADMINISTRATION DOESN'T LIKE. And do I have to worry about having a body cavity search in case I have a mini memory card hidden in my ass?

It really doesn't make a bit of difference anymore if you are an American. We are all suspects.

6:37:00 AM  
Blogger realist said...

This post degenerated into another wild Bush = Hitler claim.

Yes, Bush is EXACTLY like Hitler, but all he lacks is the genocide, any trappings of dictatorship, any racism, any genocide. But other than that, just like Hitler!

"I seem to remember when we all had the freedom to dissent, even against our own government or president."

(sarcasm). It is all so long ago, isn't it? Michael Moore and Al Franken are refugees hiding in France since Bush administration outlawed their books and movies. I used to love this blog, but Bush ordered it shut down in 2004.

"And there was a time when personal privacy was a given."

(no sarcasm). Well our property rights are in danger. But it not coming from the Bushies.

"Not to mention freedom of speech. Not anymore."

(sarcasm back on). Yes. It is an outrage that Scot McLelland is rotting in a prison somewhere, before he could even get his book published.

7:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giving your few specific examples does not change the fact that liberties in the US are eroding under the guise of counter terrorism. I don't recall any such thing as a "free speech zone" until Bush. I don't recall
FISA being abandoned before Bush. I don't recall anyone being detained on American soil with no legal representation and no charges for YEARS before Bush. And I don't recall a pre-emptive invasion of a sovereign nation based on a completely untrue propoganda campaign at least since Vietnam.

I don't recall people getting arrested or thrown out of functions because of what was written on their T-shirts. One old woman because she had the gall to have a sign saying MCCAIN = BUSH.

I don't recall concern over a trillion dollar deficite. I don't recall, at least since Nixon, a president who was scared to death to speak in front of a mixed audience of normal everyday, non military people for fear of being booed off the stage. I don't recall one with a 29% approval rating.

He's a traitor and a criminal and my only hope is that the bastard gets his day in court.

6:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And by the way, Bush is not innocent of genocide. Iraqi civilians are his genocide. And innocent of dictatorship? Doing exactly what he pleases through signing statements regardless of the law is hardly democratic. I just fault the congress for allowing him to get away with it.

4:04:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Well said! Bravo.

9:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home