Saturday, August 23, 2008

Biden time

Well, I'm glad I didn't stay up all night waiting for the big surprise announcement since Obama went with the safe pick. You can find hundreds of reactions on Memeorandum but from the places I've cruised this morning, the reaction from the progressive lefties to Biden appears to be a collective -- meh.

That was my reaction. I'm not thrilled or inspired, but I'm not horrified either. It's a good enough pick and it makes sense in many ways. More importantly, anecdotal evidence would suggest that it's playing well with senior citizens, who are a reliable voting block. That can't hurt.

There's some talk about Biden's tendency to run off at the mouth, but I consider that a plus myself, as evidenced by this short clip.



Biden is a fighter, and more importantly in a race where elitism has become a major talking point, it's another positive that after decades inside the system, he's still one of the poorest politicians inside the Beltway, who gave his $800,000 in honoria for speaking engagements to charity and his wife is a schoolteacher.

As for the GOP's new waterboy, AP Washington Bureau Chief Ron
Fournier's concern trolling
, which seems to have a lot of traction in the news cycle, I'll let Steve Benen dispatch that as only he can do. Many wondered what would happen to AP when Fournier took over the bureau. It seems clear, he is leading the march of the once venerable wire service into irrelevancy.

That's the beauty of the internets. The days when past statements disappear down the memory hole are over, a fact which the elite media obviously hasn't fully grasped. Hacks like Fournier are due for a rude awakening. [links via Eschaton]

[cross-posted to The Reaction]



[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger QueersOnTheRise said...

I've heard he's not a good friend to the gay community, however.

1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't know about that QOTR. His record on women's rights is pretty good but I hear he also sponsored that horrible RAVE act so he's clearly going to be no friend to drug policy reformers.

Still it could have worse. And clearly, McCain is no friend to the gay community either. In fact he's a declared enemy after Saddleback.

1:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home