Friday, May 23, 2008

This land is their land

by Capt. Fogg

I try not to trust official stories, neither the government's or that of political parties. I'm not entirely sure that the oil fields under the north slope of Alaska or the offshore resources in the Arctic are huge and I'm not sure that the reason we don't tap them extensively is the fanaticism of "left wing environmentalist crazies."

Environmentalists, of course can't be summed up so easily and the idea that the unitary government of oil men would be unable to move without their permission seems flimsy. After all the scarcity of oil serves them well and another huge discovery would slash profits.

The standard currency of the world is oil. It props up the dollar which might otherwise be worth very little. How would it serve the people who sell oil to sell it for less? How would it serve the US if OPEC couldn't buy our debt with the dollars it makes?

I try really hard not to trust vast paranoid scenarios and the notion that all the politics of the last few decades is explained by the machinations of oil men, but the arguments of Lindsey Williams have set me back on my heels.

He's been making speeches for years, about the world bank, about the oil cartels and perhaps there are weaknesses in his arguments. Certainly I know oil geologists who strongly disagree. It's far too complex for me to repeat or even to summarize, but listen for yourself. Make some popcorn. It will take you over an hour.

I would like to believe he's wrong, but I think that in essence he's right. I think I've seen new light on our enmity toward Iran. I think the people blaming high oil prices on reindeer huggers are dupes. I think people blaming it on speculators are fooling themselves. I think people blaming it on the Chinese are wrong. I think I'm scared, not because I can't afford $5 gasoline or $10 gasoline, but I'm afraid I've just looked into the mouth of hell and seen Dick Cheney beckoning.

Cross posted from Human Voices

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger QueersOnTheRise said...

I can actually write this and have it be somewhat true:

"You won't have Nixon to kick around any more." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

4:13:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I didn't listen to the piece but I'm pretty sure Cheney is the gatekeeper for hell.

11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

It's very long and I'm sure it's full of inaccuracies, but the guy raises some specters that are hard to dispel.

Best of all though, it helped us get rid of Mr Hanky.

12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home