Sunday, May 04, 2008

That Old Time Rock 'n Roll

expatbrian

To set this scene, I'm sitting on my bed, laptop on my breakfast-in-bed tray, wireless card firmly installed, fan going, a rare (and becoming rarer) martini within easy reach. I'm doing a little research for a nice post or posts on some of the great 'girl groups' that preceded and certainly influenced the Beatles era and future R&R. (and I'm still gonna do that)

I'm on YouTube checking out the Chiffons, the Shirelles, The Rondells, Gladys Knight, etc. And then I run across this gem and, having been one of America's and my favorites at the time, I just had to post this up right now. It's not just the group. It's the great host and the "mysterious" Brando like motorcycle rider. This went to No. 1. And if your my age, you know the words.


At the time they were considered (and publicized as)bad girls who were a little racy. The lead singer, Mary Weiss was 16 at the time of this performance.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Blogger nolocontendere said...

And cute as a button.

9:35:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

That pathetic bike is hilarious.

9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

OMG. I can't believe we used to wear our hair like that.... Thanks Brian. Great trip down memory lane. Who was the guy on the motorcycle? I feel like I should have recognized him.

10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Wasn't me! I wonder what kind of "pack" anyone could lead on that twinky thing.

My bike was a '57 Triumph - green with gold pin striping - looked just like Marlon Brando's in "the Wild One"

It still sits in my garage under a blanket.

11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I loved Triumphs. Back in the day, I was kind of motorcycle chick. For some reason, I ended up hanging with guys who drove them. In fact I believe the one time I rode with an real honest to God motorcycle gang, it was on a Triumph and oddly, he was the leader of the pack.

1:03:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I've never been a pack person and those goofy hats were out by my time.

Well anyway, if we're taking a vote, I vote for the Chirelles' One Fine Day and and the Crystals' Da Doo Run Run as my favorite top down, pedal to the metal songs of the early 60's - at least in the Girl Group category. Was it King Curtis in that great Saxophone solo with the Crystals?

5:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I'm surprised you didn't recognize Robert Goulet on the bike. I thought that was obvious. My first bike, in high school was the very popular Honda 50. When I got out of the army, I traded straight across my VW station wagon for a Triumph 750. Great bike. But my last bit of riding, just before moving to Singapore, was on a Honda Goldwing. "Riding" a Goldwing is like "camping" in a 40 ft luxury RV.

7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

DUH. Robert Goulet. I did recognize him but he was so young I couldn't dredge up the name from the old memory chip. Synapse short, you know.

I'm so glad to find out. That was bugging me.

8:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home