Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's That Time of Year Again!

expatbrian

And of course I'm talking about that annual jubilee that so inspires us all with its gaiety, feasting and just plain fun! Yes, it's the Baby Jumping Festival!

Once again, just as they have since 1620, the population of Castrillo de Murcia, Spain will be gathered in the streets to watch grown men dressed like the Colacho or Devil leap over rows of giggling infants in a celebration meant to ward off the devil. The event is held as part of the Catholic Feast of Corpus Christi.

Though doctors were standing by, there were no crushed little skulls or other injuries at this years event. Body count statistics are not available for previous years.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'm unable to decide whether a free gun with every purchase or squashed baby roulette is the wackiest damn thing I ever heard.

11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's is pretty frightening. I suppose the jumpers practice though to avoid squishing any babies.

11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I hope so. Only in Spain -- and I thought the running of the bulls was idiotic.

11:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fact is, over the years these babies are not injured, unlike the thousands that I refer to in my more recent post on child abuse. But it, like murder in the streets, landing on Mars and fixed elections that install fascist governments is just another ho hum story that will die a death of disinterest.

9:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home