Saturday, March 08, 2008

McCain fires first shot of 08 at Hillary

By Libby

It's hard to define McCain's new ad. Scattershot comes to mind. The production values were actually pretty good but the choice of images was strange and confusing. The intended message is somewhat murky. But the one thing that really stood out was the first clue on how he's going to run against the Democrats and it seems clear he thinks Hillary is going to pull it off.

When he gets to the part about why he wants to be president, note the careful stress on the phrase, "not out of a sense of entitlement." Watch it and tell me that wasn't a direct dig at Hillary.



It strikes me as a bit odd that he would be so candidate specific at this point. And what with Hillary practically endorsing him lately, the conspiracy theorist lurking inside me wonders if they struck some kind of deal with the devil. I mean, that would sort of explain this recent remark by McCain.
"It's harder and harder trying to do the Lord's work in the city of Satan," McCain said of Washington.
Maybe he wasn't so much renouncing the evil of the Beltway as he was announcing the new sovereign of the The Village.

[Preventive disclaimer: That last bit has been an attempt at humor.] [via]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Blogger Swampcracker said...

I am not so sure this shot is necessarily aimed at Hillary. Every candidate has a story to tell, and this is an attempt to turn McCain into the stuff of folklore and legend. Note the references to Roosevelt and Churchill; the war-hero as leader and the leader in wartime are positioning memes that will emerge later in the campaign.

This will be a contest, not just between liberal versus conservative ideas, but also between competing mythologies.

10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I see the war hero thing SC, but entitlement is a word I see most often used in the context of Hillary.

10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

The word "entitlement(s)" also refers to the domestic and social agenda of the Democrats. In this context, Senator McEcono-con is saying:

Military Spending + Tax Cuts + Balanced Budget = no money for entitlements

11:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with eco. Comparing himself to Churchill and Roosevelt is just the epitome of arrogance. I think they would both turn over in their graves at the comparison. They maintained their honor and deserve their historical legacy. McCain supports and will continue the failed, criminal, abhorrent policies of the very worst president this poor country has ever had. He's disgusting.

11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Perhaps the overheated Dem contest is a response to McCain's troubled candidacy, i.e. whoever wins the Dem nomination wins the presidency.

And perhaps Bill Foster’s taking of the Illinois 14th District (formerly held by Dennis Hastert) is a foreshadowing. Obama interrupted his own campaign to support Foster, a point not to be forgotten by Dem super-delegates.

12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't think the theme is about Hillary. Clearly it's to portray Johnny as a war hero destined to go in history as a great leader. I get that and I agree it's disgusting.

But I do think that one little phrase, tucked in there well into the ad, was directed at Hillary. I mean, am I the only one who noticed the ongoing media narrative about how the Clintons operate out of sense of entitlement?

It's subtle, but I think it's there.

9:15:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I risked my breakfast and looked at it again. I think I'm right.
Just watch the bit with the phrase at about 1 minute in so y ou don't get distracted by the rest of video.

"I don't seek the office out a sense of entitlement." Listen to the way he stresses the words. Doesn't that imply that somebody else, like Hillary, does?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and it is subtle, but I see it.

9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

I am not wedded to any interpretation. At this stage in the campaign it is way too early to speculate what themes will emerge. All these are trial balloons at best.

2:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home