Friday, February 01, 2008

Pick your nightmare

by expatbrian

Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Gaza, Somalia, Sudan, Algeria, Congo oh…and yeah, almost forgot…Iraq. Take your pick of which violent, horrific nightmare destination to read or write about.

Two thoughts come to me as I read the news this morning. One is, I am so overwhelmed by the amount of violence and insanity in the news, and it is so widespread-so pervasive, that I really thought I couldn’t actually post on any of it. So instead, I’m posting about that feeling of drowning in a sea of informational despair.

Second is, when reading through the news, Iraq was so far down the list of headlines as to be almost an afterthought. I go through Google headlines first, then usually BBC, Al Jazeera, WaPo and SF Chronicle in that order. There is so much election spewage that its easy to forget that we have men and women getting blown apart over there. Daily. I’m sure Bush and the Repubs love it - seeing the Iraq stories get lost in the sheer volume of other violent news.

I look at the pictures, like these, and wonder about the children that are horrifically victimized on a daily basis by the insanity inflicted upon them by adults. How can they possibly grow up without hate and vengeance consuming their very souls? How can we hear about it, see it, listen to the frightening stories about it and not lash out at those who are causing it? Are we so overwhelmed with the sheer volume of it that we just can't care anymore?

I guess this is why we let Bush get away with what he does. We just don’t feel it anymore. When we hear about dead civilians or 10 or 100 or even thousands, even if they are women and children, we just don’t feel anything anymore. Its just so absolutely common place.

It is so digusting and sad. So shocking. I would say we are turning into animals, but animals don’t behave this way. It is as if, in settling our disputes, violence and killing have become the method of first resort instead of last resort. Killing our own families and friends. Shooting our classmates and colleagues. Mutilating, whipping, stoning, hanging our women for “dishonoring us”. Molesting and abusing our own children. Letting our actions be guided by racial hatred instead of rational thought.

What has happened to us? For gods sake, what have we become?

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the problem http://tswanson.googlepages.com/failure.jpg

10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often wonder what happened between 1969 and 2008. We seemed to be heading in the right direction--how did we take such a wrong turn? You would think that as we became citizens of the 21st century we, as a race (the human race), would discover ways to connect and cooperate instead, I feel like I've stepped into the Time Machine and that the Morlocks now rule the world.

11:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lester, if that picture is supposed to reflect sheer dumbness, then I agree with you. The dumbing down, numbing down of America is a huge problem because it makes them so very easy to control. And just look at the result. Americans have actually allowed freedoms to be taken away from them with no more than a whimper of protest. It's disgusting and I'm ashamed to be one.

4:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

expat- yes that is what I meant. also, I was just curious do yuo get paid in dollars in Singapore?

10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home