Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bye Fred, I'm going to miss you

By Libby

It's not exactly a shock that Fred Thompson dropped out of the race and the usual suspects are speculating on which candidate gains the most from his departure. I don't have a clue myself and I find I don't really care. This cycle has been so tumultous and unpredictable that all crystal balls are clouded and predictions seem pointless but I really am going to miss him.

I've been secretly rooting for him to win from the beginning, mainly because I thought he would be the easiest to beat in the general, largely for the reasons that he failed in his primary bid. But mainly, I'm sorry to see him go because the post I did about his wife long before he ever entered the fray went viral and has consistently generated google traffic ever since. I suppose that will die out now after this last surge of interest.

So goodbye Fred. For once the phrase, "we hardly knew you" is more truth than cliche but it was a hell of a ride to nowhere.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember how Nixon characterized him: "A useful idiot".
Personally, I think he crossed over into the "useless idiot" category.

1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

He certainly didn't get any smarter since the Nixon days, but then smart doesn't seem to be part of the image they're all struggling to portray.

3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Jim. Indeed, he started that way in this campaign. That's why I wanted him to win.

I think that's part of the authenticity thing Rove was talking about the other day. I kind wish I had saved the link to that silly Q&A. I can't remember where I saw it now.

6:55:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That second part of the comment was for Fogg.

6:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

national review had an article about his accomplishments. try as they might, none of them could find a single one. ever

10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

A friend of mine worked on the Fred Thompson campaign. His job was to keep him awake, an almost full-time occupation.

7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Lester and SC.

7:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home