Monday, January 21, 2008

Outing Paul

By Capt. Fogg

Today, of course, marks the official celebration of Martin Luther King's birthday. Not everyone is happy about it. "what an infamy Ronald Reagan approved it," said one dissenter at the time. "We can thank him for our annual Hate Whitey day."

Back in the 1990's King was excoriated by a certain publication as a world class philanderer who beat up his paramours, seduced underage boys and was a Communist sympathizer. Claiming that black activists wanted to rename New York city after Dr. King, he suggested Welfaria, Zooville, Rapetown, Dirtburg and Lazyopolis as alternatives. "Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5% of blacks have sensible political opinions" is a typical analysis and one of many, many more quoted in The New Republic's current article: Angry White Man.

Of the 1992 riots in Los Angeles he wrote: "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks three days after rioting began." and "I've urged everyone in my family to to know how to use a gun in self-defense. For the animals are coming." Of racial disturbances in Washington DC the previous year, he announced in his newsletter: "Animals take over the DC zoo" and "This is only the first skirmish in the race war of the 1990's."

It's obvious that I'm talking about Ron Paul, the puckish and charming Republican candidate who tempts us with things we want to hear about the tendency of our current administration toward a bloated, secretive, rapaciously greedy, authoritarian nanny-state with little respect for the balance of powers or constitutional authority. He got my applause when the Republican debate audience jeered at his mention that the US had once forcibly ended Democracy in Iran and I'm usually glad to see him undercutting the empty sloganeering of his opponents. But anybody can say anything and some have said too much for me to believe in their motives or veracity.

If one can believe the words that have been published for decades in Ron Paul's various newsletters, he doesn't much like black people, Jews, ( who blew up the WTC) homosexuals or people who don't take a stand against them and their civil rights. "Bring back the closet" shouts one of his headlines. Other articles decry gays for trying to poison the blood supply and for enjoying having AIDS because of the sympathy it provided them. AIDS, of course, had been deliberately concocted by the World Health Organization claims another of his articles.

Ron Paul's various newsletters, published under his name since the 1980's show strong ties to extremists like David Duke and their extremist causes. Although he claims not to have read or be responsible for the countless outrageous statements made over the decades, it's rather hard to believe in him any more.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't know that I've ever believed in him but I still don't mind that he's doing well. He continues to shake up the GOP race and I continue to think that's a good thing.

3:07:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I agree. I'm a bit disappointed though and it should be a lesson to me to reserve my biggest doubts for those who say what I want to hear.

4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm always suspicious of anything that looks too good or too easy. But then I've been burned by smooth talkers once too many times.

6:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you "believe in him" at one point? The only thing I've ever heard you or any other lefties talk about are these newsletters.

isn't there a page of hillary quotes that are even worse than this?

10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Lester, I've been very clear about my reservations with RP from the get go and I've also promoted his candidacy, so I don't see why you're bitching at me.

7:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was bitching at captain fogg.

10:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home