Monday, November 26, 2007

Looking under the covers

By Libby

I've always been fascinated by manhole covers and other mysterious cast iron circles embedded in sidewalks. I often photograph them on my travels when I find a particularly interesting example of this sort of unintended urban art. But I've never really considered the process of making them. Now I know.

Good Lord. Nearly all of Manhattan's covers come from places like this. It seems like another good reason to bring back the old Buy American programs. Even Sam Walton understood the sense in that. Too bad his heirs didn't inherit his conscience along with with his money.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Most foundries are very dirty businesses in terms of pollution and are dangerous places to work. Large numbers of them closed after OSHA and other agencies began to enforce the new rules. Consequently it costs lots of money to run a clean shop and the products are more expensive.

We've exported many dirty, dangerous jobs to places like India where nobody cares so the money that was supposed to trickle down is trickling elsewhere.

9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Foundries are the worst. My first husband worked in one for about a month once. They had a sign inside the shop measuring how many days it was without a major injury. I don't think it ever went to 30. It reset twice while he was there.

9:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home