Friday, November 23, 2007

Aftermath - 11-03-04

By Libby

Remember how you felt the day after the 04 election? This is what I posted at the Detroit News blog.

I wake up this morning to a nation divided. The wedge that was lodged in the heart of America in 2000 has been driven clear through this country using the maul of deception and rent us asunder in 2004. With such record turnouts, the results should have been more clear. Instead, the only thing Bush managed to do in four years, is to polarize us further.

I'm not a person who cares much about winning. I would rather everyone had fun playing the game. But this time we were playing for life or death stakes and I'm shocked and saddened that apparently fully half of America does not understand the danger in allowing this administration to continue its current destructive agenda. I fear for our future and I will take no comfort if it turns out I'm right, because we will all still lose.

Can I accept the results? Sure. Can I now put aside my differences with wrongheaded policy and simply support Bush if he is declared the winner? No, and my guess is neither will the half of the country that voted for Kerry. Our concerns run too deep and the issues are too important to simply put aside for the next four years.

I'll have more to say on what I think this means in the days to come. For the moment all I can do is thank you in Michigan for upholding my belief that middle America could and would see through the smoke and mirrors of the Bush campaign and vote for the better man.

I felt shell-shocked. I couldn't believe it was true. As we came to find out, it probably wasn't. The evidence of vote tampering that emerged far too late to do any good is compelling. We should remember that as 08 approaches. The same people still own the machines. Let's not forget we still don't have a verifiable voting system.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerry lost fair and square, after running a disastrous campaign.

The Dems have the wind at their sails for '08. There's no need to post hare-brained entries like this.

9:41:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

There's no need to post hare-brained comments Anon, but have at it. We're all about free speech here.

10:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he's right. Gore and Kery were both shit candidates. People didn't vote for them because they sucked. Kerry especially would have been a horrible president.

9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't disagree that Kerry sucked but the evidence is strong that there was vote tampering, especially in Ohio.

10:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ot- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsY2pYFnB6o

dems should nominate roger and jessica kucinich rabbit. not those beltway phonies

11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'd agree that the frontrunners are not great. I don't like any of them much.

11:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lester, the next time you make eggnog, lighten up on the rum.

11:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

swampcracker- not a kucinich fan? why not? I think he's the best dem by far. but I also think he and his wife do resemble roger and jessica rabbit

2:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lester, I do kinda like Kucinich but I wasn't sure if your were praising or mocking him. Actually I also think Senator Dodd looks good ... better than many others. But we never get our first choice; we merely get the one who is considered most electable, or we get the High School Senior Class most popular pick. And that is a damn shallow way to choose a leader.

3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I only posted the clip because lovely elizabeth kucinich commented favorably on my actual candidate. But I recall dodd making some pretty good statement against the fed at one point so he's cool with me

3:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lester, I take it back. Add as much rum as you like.

P.S. My wish for the New Year: I hope Capt. Fogg and Libby do away with word verification ... mhkzwl ... ugh!

4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

SC, I would get rid of the word verify but when I don't have it on, the place gets swamped with spam.

4:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Libby, "swamped" is syllable number one as in “swampcracker.”

P.S. jdtbk ... in italics ... makes me cross-eyed.

8:01:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I hate it too SC. Sometimes it takes me three tries just to post a comment on my own darn blog.

10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.obamala.com


we're coming for your children!!!

9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

The link won't open for me Lester. Is it supposed to be funny?

1:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sort of. I wonder why it didn't open. hmm

it's an obama fan site gone paulistinian

2:03:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Could be my computer. It's been weird. I've been having trouble with several websites I often visit as well.

2:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OT- http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_11_19/feature.html

peter the elder visits North korea. surprise, it's a twilight zone of hellish tyranny

11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home