Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Excess Hoggage - Strange Days edition

By Libby

I seem to have spent the day mostly debating in comments and answering emails so I'm late again but I did manage to do some blogging along the way.

I tested my new national health insurance meme with, I thought, a rather good post at the Detroit News on our national health care crisis. I think the framing is a winner. It got my rightwing colleague, Jeffrey Hadden, so fired up he posted a terse two sentence rebuttal, in really big letters, with a link to Greg Mankiw's ridiculous skewed screed. Little does it know I have a counterlink to the ultimate debunk of Mankiw's piece. I'll be posting that tonight in my response to the rest of my critics.

In the news today, the GOP is robo-sliming again. This latest trick is probably the lowest yet.

I discovered Einstein was a big civil rights activist.

I'm really glad to see MSNBC adding more liberal talking head programming but Rosie O'Donnell? Bad pick. Not at all what I had in mind.

On one level the arrest of this human rights activist is funny because he's apparently a raging neo-con who helped foster the climate of fear that's wrapped around America today, but I find it very ugly and unhealthy for democracy. Interesting response in the comment section on that one.

And we had a rocking debate in this post on drivers licenses for illegals. I'm for it in principle, but I don't why we're even debating it. Does anybody believe that illegals are going to go into a government office and announce their status? I just can't picture it.

I stumbled across a review of the Eagles new album on a neo-crazy site. It appears they wrote some protest songs on this disc. I'm glad to see the old rockers get back to doing that.

And Fred Thompson defends his drug dealing friend. Good for him but the idiot media didn't take the opportunity to focus in on his drug policy position and instead flogged the death out of the sensational aspect of his having a former drug dealer as a friend. I wish we had a better media.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

libertarian /old rightist gives a shout out to Edwards.

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=11867


all it took was the inclusion of 1 (one) word into his stump speech. pollsters take note

9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Interesting piece Lester.

10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Thanks for the mention at the Det News, Libby. I'm looking forward to your rebuttal of Hadden's piece. I hope you pointed out to him that he's old school and in the minority - a majority of Americans would like to see some form of universal coverage and they're even willing to pay higher taxes to achieve that goal.

;-)

7:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speak for yourself kathy. I have no interest in either higher taxes or universal healthcare.

9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Kathy, yw and I surely will.

Lester, you're in the minority. You're just going to have to live with that.

10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

constitution protects the rights of the minority I thought

2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It does protect your rights Lester, but it doesn't infer the right to get your own way every time.

3:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home