Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hey Rudy - hold the phone

By Libby

Under the heading, what was he thinking? Did he forget who he was talking to?
While delivering his big speech today before the National Rifle Association, Rudy was interrupted by a cell phone call from his wife, Judith Nathan. An apparently surprised Rudy told the crowd, "it's my wife," spoke to her for a moment, and closed the call with a touching, I'm-happily-married moment, saying, "I love you" to her in front of a crowd of gun rights types.

Why he didn't turn it off before he started speaking might be explained by simple inattention, although the more cynical viewer, considering this has happened before, might think it was purposefully contrived to show what a family man he is. If so, this man has no understanding of gun owners.

The NRA crowd is macho to the max. Nothing gets between these folks and their firearms. Certainly not the "little woman." Rudy was presuambly there to convince them of his sincere conversion to 2nd amendment rights and this crowd is easily insulted. The impression he will have left is that his wife is more important than talking to them about guns.

I don't know what the semiauto-toting gunslinger calls it today, but in my day they would have called him pussy-whipped. I doubt they were favorably impressed.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger nolocontendere said...

This semiauto toter thinks it was a stunt, just like you said it was to impress the rubes that he's a family man. He knew it was going to be her, if there was anyone really at the other end. They love to pull stuff like this but more and more people are seeing through the gimmicks.
I don't know about the pussy whipped opinion though, but I think most in attendence would have been insulted by the fool seemingly not taking his speech seriously.

9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Nolo, you are not the typical semi-auto toter by any means. I'm talking about those guys that destroyed that old TV sports guy's career over a single sentence about hunting and semis. I can't even remember what they were so pissed about but that's the sort of people I would expect to have attended the speech.

Don't get me wrong, I know and like a lot of those guys but they are terminally macho and definitely expect their "wimmen" to know their place and it doesn't come before guns for sure.

But I expect they were also insulted that he would interrupt a speech to take ANY phone call. It was just stupid and I also think it was contrived.

11:54:00 AM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Apparently, he's done it before as well.

4:43:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

So I've heard Nolo. First time's an accident. The second time is a trick.

8:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home