Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Maginot Line

By Libby

I haven't weighed in on the immigration bill because I haven't had time to read it and I'm at a loss as to what to do about the situation in general. But my friend and Detroit News Blog alumnus, The Mayor of Simpleton, has some definite thoughts on the subject. Congrats to Hizzoner for cracking the USA Today LTE page.

This was my favorite line and the one point I'm certain about myself.
Until we start showing a real deterrent, a wall on our border will be merely an ineffective "Maginot line," benefiting no one but the lucky contractors who are hired to build it.
He's so right. The wall is a dumb idea. It won't do a blessed thing and the symbolism is all wrong for America. If for some reason that link rots, you can read Kevin's entire letter at his own blog.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has also been my contention from the beginning. I understand the dilemma of having undocumented people living in this country and we must do something to stem the tide and organize legal immigration. But the wall feels too oppressive. Will it be built to keep people out, or keep people in? Maybe both? The Berlin wall and the iron curtain both come to mind.

8:54:00 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

They'll just keep inventing better pole vault tactics, it's never work. Far too expensive. But the worst thing is it would be an environmental catastrophic nightmare.

2:30:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Rocky - that's where I'm at. I know something has to be done, but the wall just ain't it.

Nolo - I hadn't considered the environmental impact. How do you think it would be ecologically destructive?

8:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The solution is to fine the people who hire them to the hilt. ubt people are too chicken to suggest this. Imagine, it's politically easier to build a wall and spend billions on tracking down people who are working than it is to actually solve the problem without adding anything to the budget.

Same with the middle east. it's easier to bomb iran than to get out of the middle east. even though it would save us money and lives.

11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home