Friday, February 16, 2007

Corruption charges follow Gov. Gibbons from DC

Former Congressman and now Governor of Nevada, Jim Gibbons is accused of accepting bribes in return for millions of dollars of government contracts steered to a friend, Warren Trepp. It's the usual story of allegations and denials but this little exchange illustrates the whole atmosphere of crony corruption inside the Beltway.
“Please don’t forget to bring the money you promised Jim and Dawn,” Mr. Trepp’s wife, Jale, wrote in the e-mail message to her husband on March 22, 2005, a few days before the Trepps left for a Caribbean cruise with Mr. Gibbons and his wife, Dawn, a former Nevada assemblywoman.

Minutes later, Mr. Trepp replied, according to The Journal: “Don’t you ever send this kind of message to me! Erase this message from your computer right now!”

Mr. Gibbons, who was in Congress at the time, did not disclose the trip, which included travel aboard Mr. Trepp’s leased private jet.
It's always the emails that trip them up. It amazes me how people who are supposed to be smart enough to govern our country and are able to come up with extraordinarly creative ways to cheat the taxpayers, still don't realize that you can't really delete anything from your computer short of incinerating it.
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Rudi said...

Libby, what is your tie to the DetNews blog? Just wondering.

2:56:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm not sure I know what you mean Rudi. I was invited to blog there for a 30 day guest stint about three years ago and they asked me to stay and I did. I'm just a random blogger who wandered in when they were starting it up. I kind of helped build the thing really and seen it go through a lot of changes. I've probably had 70 or so different cobloggers. I don't even remember all their names.

Blogging is a funny thing. It's like bartending. It looks easy from the other side of the bar but coming up with fresh content every day is more challenging than people think, so a lot of them didn't last.

But I have no prior connection to Detroit and none to the paper. I've never set foot in the city but after all this time I consider it a cyber-hometown of sorts. I know more about their politics than I do about the local politics here.

4:13:00 PM  
Blogger Rudi said...

You answered the question - just random at start.
Thx,
Rudi

6:32:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Yeah, luck of the draw Rudi, but if you're asking because you're thinking about applying, you definitely should apply. We're down a leftie blogger right now. Email me if you want some advice.

8:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home