Sunday, September 03, 2006

Defining fascism

Those of you who don't read Last One Speaks may be unaware that I have a new beau. I'm enjoying the human contact, which I've been sorely missing for the last 18 months. We've been spending hours and hours, talking on the phone and hanging out together. I mean how cool it is to find someone who reads your blogs and still wants to hang out with you? The down side of course is I'm finding it is cutting into my blogging time. I skipped one day of even reading about politics, much less blogging, so I could clean this place up and invite him over and I feel like I'm totally out of the loop already.

Fortunately, there's a lot of bloggers out there who are paying attention, so while I catch up on the news, check out Romunov's post. I especially liked this bit. In speaking of the Bush's latest spin in the war on terror he quotes this:
The aggressive new campaign by the administration of President George W Bush to depict US foes in the Middle East as “fascists” and its domestic critics as “appeasers” owes a great deal to steadily intensifying efforts by the right-wing press over the past several months to draw the same comparison.
And he notes:
Lucky for them, most American’s don’t know the definition of fascism — “a political system in which all power of government is vested in a person or group with no other power to balance and limit the activities of the government. Fascist governments are often closely associated with large corporations and sometimes with extreme nationalism and racist activities. Modern fascism is often called “CORPORATISM”.”
Good point that we should all be making with our readers. And as an added bonus, Romunov posts a video of a brilliant rant by George Carlin. I've always loved Carlin. I didn’t even know he was still alive and working. He sure hasn't lost his touch.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pic - it speak volumes! I didn't notice the "Stick around,
You'll learn to love me." sign. Did you add this before or after you met the lovely "beau"?

4:24:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

The slogan has always been there. I've been thinking of changing it to "plain talk from a plain jane" and posting my photo....

8:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home