Wednesday, July 12, 2006

News to peruse

I believe I pretty much stole this from Think Progress. I forgot to get the source link. I was going to blog more extensively but it's too late, I have an early call. In any event these links covered the important news of the day.

Prisoners will now be treated in accord with the Geneva conventions. I meant to blog on this earlier. I think it's a good thing but I have no doubt the White House has softened its stance now that the court shot them down and as somebody I read today pointed out, there's no statute of limitations on war crimes.


The Army plans to terminate its open-ended Halliburton contract
. I like the symbolism of that. It's a sign that the GOP is recognizing the population's disgust with corporate crony corruption but I have little hope that the money won't still be going to payola contracts that will eventually end up in the same war profiteers hands. I figure they just formed smaller companies for the PR value. Probably easier to hide the fraud that way.


And here's another quote to refute the Bushenomics boosters bogus claims that the tax cuts are paying for themselves.
Economists and budget analysts outside of the administration have explained that these claims are not supported by data or economic theory.[3] Now a Department of Treasury analysis presented in the Mid-Session Review itself confirms what outside experts have consistently said — tax cuts do not come remotely close to paying for themselves.[4]
They're not doing much for the working Jake either.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home