Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving thanks

Thanksgiving has never been one of my favorite holidays. I don't like turkey and could care less about football. Besides, the whole "eat until you're sick" thing has always put me off when there are so many people around the world who will go hungry today. And then there's the irony of celebrating a holiday that was created out of the largess of Native Americans, whom our government screwed over a short time later.

Nonetheless, I do like the theme of giving thanks and I am thankful that I will be having dinner with my family for the first time in many years instead of my usual lonely celebration with a TV dinner. I'm especially grateful that I don't have to cook anything. Considering the decline of my cooking skills, I'm sure my family is also grateful that I didn't insist on trying. I'll bring flowers instead.

Looking at the greater world, I'm thankful that George Bush can never be president again and SCOTUS aside, that this nightmare administration can't last longer than three more years. I'm thankful that Americans are waking up and the deceit and corruption of this White House is finally being exposed in so many ways that only its most die-hard supporters still feel it's appropriate to wave the flag in its name. I'm thankful for the courageous and patriotic Americans that worked tirelessly to expose the liars and frauds that populate the Beltway. And thank you to those who determinedly seek to impeach the current "regime of terror."

I'm thankful for our troops in the Iraq and around the world for bravely honoring their word to serve their country even when their government reneged on their side of the agreement. I'm thankful for all those soldiers who will survive this day and come home to make their famililes whole again. I'm thankful that even in the White House circle, talk of a draw down is finally becoming serious.

I'm thankful that our First Amendment rights haven't been lost entirely and that we can still criticize our "leaders" even when they seek to label disagreement as repehensible or traitorous. And I'm really thankful for blogging and the miracle of the internets. Thanks to Blogger for allowing any regular schmuck like me to become an insta-pundit. Thanks to Buzz Flash, to all the other bloggers and my discussion lists, without whom I'd have nothing to say. And most of all, I'm thankful for all of you readers for your encouragement and your commentary. Without you, I'd be talking to myself and since I'm not rich - people might call me crazy.

Happy holiday to those who celebrate and to those who don't, it's still a good day to remember what you're thankful for. Wishing you all peace, happiness and a better world.
Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger expatbrian said...

well said.

12:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home