Thursday, October 06, 2005

Why I hate WalMart and other tales of the police state

This is beyond the pale.

Jarvis had assigned her senior civics and economics class “to take photographs to illustrate their rights in the Bill of Rights,” she says. One student “had taken a photo of George Bush out of a magazine and tacked the picture to a wall with a red thumb tack through his head. Then he made a thumb’s down sign with his own hand next to the President’s picture, and he had a photo taken of that, and he pasted it on a poster.”

An employee in that Wal-Mart photo department called the Kitty Hawk police on the student. And the Kitty Hawk police turned the matter over to the Secret Service.
The Secret Service took the poster from the teacher's unoccupied classroom without her knowledge or consent and interviewed both the student and herself.

“Halfway through my afternoon class, the assistant principal got me out of class and took me to the office conference room,” she says. “Two men from the Secret Service were there. They asked me what I knew about the student. I told them he was a great kid, that he was in the homecoming court, and that he’d never been in any trouble.”

Then they got down to his poster.

“They asked me, didn’t I think that it was suspicious,” she recalls. “I said no, it was a Bill of Rights project!”
Here's the scary part.
At the end of the meeting, they told her the incident “would be interpreted by the U.S. attorney, who would decide whether the student could be indicted,” she says.
They didn't indict but is this really necessary? What were they thinking they might indict him for? Terrorism? Putting aside the ridiculous waste of the taxpayer's money, it's a chilling statement on the Bush administration's interpretation of free expression.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home