Sunday, February 12, 2012

Natural wonders

I've always wanted to see the Aurora Borealis in real life. I could if only I could bring myself to visit my brother in Alaska in the winter. Haven't managed to do in the last 20 years. Probably should have tried while the solar flares were so active. Apparently they cause spectacular displays like this.


Many more incredible shots here.

These time lapse photos of fireflies remind me of summers in the Happy Valley. There was a certain time of year when it looked very much like this when I walked the big hill into the meadows. Of course, they were moving but they did still leave trails. It was like walking into a fairy tale.

I spent a few days in Paris back in the 90s. I found the residents to be mostly rude if one didn't speak French impeccably, but it is a beautiful city. Lovely photo gallery of Paris in the rain.

This made the rounds a while back, but I didn't get to it for while. If you missed it, it's very cool. Stunning photos of an albino hummingbird.

Finally long time readers know how much I love religious sightings on ordinary objects, like finding Jesus on a grilled cheese sandwich. This one isn't religious, and it's old now. Not sure how it worked out, but bidding on a bit of dried glue that looks like Homer Simpson was over $237,000 when this was posted. Not even that great a likeness. Since I have no luck at winning the lottery, always hoping to make a fortune on a sighting like this so I can retire.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger nolocontendere said...

I saw an incredible aurora display back in the mid 70s on my birthday in July, actually.
Spent a few hours tipping pitchers in a tavern in northern NY then drove outside of town and camped on the hood of my car, watching waves of multicolored curtains until I fell asleep.
Positively priceless, Libby.
I hope you do the same someday.

9:47:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Nolo! Good to see you. Had no idea they happened in the summer too. Good news. Maybe I'll luck out at some point before I die.

10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

The peak of solar cycle 24 won't be for at least another year, so you still have a chance.

We Hams are happy too, what with the ionosphere hotter than a two dollar pistol. Talked to a guy in the Falklands the other day and clear as a local phone call.

10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Didn't know it helped with ham radio too. Cool.

12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home