Friday, March 06, 2009

Time for criminal investigations on Wall Street

Finally, an A-lister raises the obvious question. Josh Marshall is wondering where to draw the line.
Another point. The more I learn what got a lot of these companies into trouble, foolish bets or excessive risk taking don't really capture what we're talking about. A lot of this stuff just amounts to fraud. So where are the criminal investigations. Not just hassling CEOs up on Capitol Hill, which is fine. But accountability before the law for the people who ruined the economy? There may be some short term prudential argument for not getting distracted while we're in crisis mode. But I'm not sure I buy that. I lot of this was simply criminal.
I started making that point myself last Sunday. It becomes more clear every day the bubble wasn't created out of irrational exuberance so much as it was pre-meditated theft. They knew it was wrong but they were making too much damn money to stop themselves. I'm beginning to think the only reason there aren't any investigations is because the President's advisors are just as complicit as anyone in the industry.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

"I'm beginning to think the only reason there aren't any investigations is because the President's advisors are just as complicit as anyone in the industry."

It hasn't been two months yet. It's too soon to tell, I think. It may also be that the crooks, liars, cheats, tyrants, concentration camp guards, torturers and a thousand loathsome species of Bushites will escape consequences too.

"The earth is given into the hand of the wicked, he covers the faces of the judges: if not he, than who is it?"

Job 9:24 - Capt. Fogg version.

Meanwhile a million or so kids will go to jail for smoking dope and miserable somebody who steals a loaf of bread to keep his family from starving will be hounded forever.

One of the dead sea scrolls looks forward to a time "when there shall be no more lies and all the words of falsehood put to shame."

I stopped holding my breath a couple of thousand years ago.

4:50:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

There are days when I think we really are reaching the end times Fogg. I love the good book according to Fogg in any event.

5:46:00 PM  
Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
If you can't cry any more, try laughing. Funny pictures. Home-made.
.

8:45:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Nice ones Cosa. LOL.

11:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home