Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Won't you turn my red state, blue

The local newspaper reports are reflecting what I saw on the streets of my reliably blue county in this red state. I toured the nearby polling places just before the after work crowd would arrive and the parking lots were half empty and there were no lines outdoors. They say it's been like that all day after the early morning rush.

I think that's okay. Over 2.5 million already voted and they were only expecting another 2 million to show up today. It rained all day so that probably suppressed turnout a bit and the early voting favors Obama in any event. I made a few stops and almost everyone I talked to was jazzed about Obama.

I had the best experience in the ABC store. I went there to buy a celebratory drink. The store is right on the edge of the black section of town and African-Americans run it. There were two women there today and they had a black radio station on that was talking about the vote. The DJ was going on about what it all meant to the black community and I was almost tearing up again. I decided to buy some Frangelica. As I told the clerk, a sweet drink in case there's a sweet victory.

We spoke briefly about our hope and the last thing I said to her was, Yes. We. Can. It made her smile and both our eyes glittered in recognition of our shared moment of unexpected intimacy. I left feeling better than I have in weeks.

And now the returns are coming in and it's looking good, so I'm off to enjoy the ride for a while. Visualize victory.

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I got my old American flag out of the closet a few minutes ago when ABC called PA for Obama. I don't know that they are right, but it sure feels good. It will fell damned good to fly it again tomorrow - it's been a long, long time.

8:36:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

I'm so excited by all the races! I miss Tim Russert who always was so enthusiastic about politics and this country.
We have lived through so many historic moments, both good and bad, but tonight, it feels incredible to be a part of this piece of history.
HOORAY FOR US ALL!!!!!!!!!

9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yay for the new blue states ;-]

Thanks for your post Libby, enjoy the frangelico - such a delicious drink for a delightful day.

kind regards, michael

11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Sorry I'm late. I'm a little tipsy. Doesn't it feel good?

1:07:00 AM  
Blogger rockync said...

Well, Libby, we now have the dubious distinction of being the only state on the map that is still gray -- Obama has won by 12,000 votes but it's close so no doubt a certain group is calling for a recount. (Sigh) I guess we'll have to settle for a gray state! :)

10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'll take gray over red Rocky. I think a recount will still give to Obama. We squeaked it out. The world is changing, step by tiny step.

11:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home