Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Yes. We. Can.


Election day at last. People in my internet circles are reporting long lines and no lines. Everyone is a good mood. You can feel the hope. It's so palpable, you could eat it for breakfast.

Dixville Notch, NH, traditionally the first to report results has it for Obama in a landslide, 15-6.

Obama closes out his campaign with 90,000 at a rally in Manassas, Virginia last night. This morning in Richmond, all their voting machines broke down. Some confusion at first, but they now have paper ballots. Good. Harder to steal the vote that way.

Sean is on the road and takes a look at the Obama ground game in Georgia. I'm too superstitous to make predictions but that state could surprise us.

Over in Right Blogstantinople and Wingnut Punditryville, heads are already exploding. Take your pick of comical coverage here. Breathless posts on McCain's optimism, horrified indignation over imagined voting fraud or dire warnings about our country lurching to the left.

Meanwhile, I don't know how much blogging I'll be doing today. I'm not much for hour by hour analysis, but I expect to be sharing voting stories as they come in.

In the interim, visualize victory.

[Photo credit]

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger rockync said...

I just returned from voting -- no long lines out here in rural America! We had a lovely time, talking to neighbors and the party reps outside. We took my 87 year old mother in law with us so she could have her voice heard.
We do paper ballots; you color in the circles then feed you card into a machine to be counted. There was an old couple in front of me and the man was trying to figure out which way to put his ballot in. The volunteer tried to tell him it didn't matter the machine reads both sides. His wife repeated this to him and he finally got his ballot in there, but, although he probably missed it, several of us waiting nearby couldn't help hearing his wife grumble, "He can't see and he can't hear!"
Happy Election Day to all!
Peace & Love,
Rocky

10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL. Great story Rocky. So you and I will cancel out two McCain voters I know of and with your two extra, assuming MIL voted for Barack, at least we're ahead in the family.

I spent about an hour emailing our brother last night, trying to convince him. Don't know how I did, but I have some hope I got through. Not it's likely to make a big difference there if you believe the polls.

10:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

21 votes and only 19 registered voters. Go ACORN!

11:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Libby do you remember four years ago when the exit polls were so wrong. I really didn't think Kerry had a chance but I became more hopeful as the day went along only to be crushed in the end.
I must admit that I still think the race issue is at play, I only hope that it isn't as bad as I fear or that McCain's alzheimerian pick of lipstick will cancel it out.
Jim Martin

12:28:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

Don't know if you'll convince said brother to vote blue but AK likely to go red anyway so I don't think it will effect much.
Don't know if all my sons voted but the Professor had breakfast here after he voted and I've been working on him for months. He plays it close to the cuff but I think I may have swayed him.
Bottom line, all of us who care enough will be heard.

12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Jim. Good to see you. I haven't forgotten 04, hence my superstitiously refusing to predict anything but this time it really is different. Kerry didn't inspire the kind of excitement that's out there today.

I'm convinced they stole it in 04. I don't think it will be so easy this time. People are watching closely and even the media are alluding to the theft schemes.

In any event, I don't think people are going to just roll over if they try it this time. I'm willing to predict there will be massive protests on the streets.

Rocky, I live in hope at the moment.

1:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home