Monday, May 05, 2008

Old politics

By Libby

Following up on yesterday's post, just to clarify on what bothers me about Hillary's statement on ignoring the experts regarding the silly gas tax holiday, it's not that I don't expect politicians to pander with silly stuff like this. All politicians do what it takes to win and the bar has been significantly lowered in the last eight years. It's not incumbent on Hillary to raise it necessarily, but it is just politics as usual and I'm sick of that.

Bob Reich puts it better than I can in the few minutes I have this morning to post.
Even though the summer gas tax holiday is pure hokum, it polls well, which is why HRC and John McCain are pushing it. That Barack Obama is not in favor of it despite its positive polling numbers speaks volumes about the kind of president he’ll be – and the kind of president we’d otherwise get from McCain and HRC.

Haven’t we had enough of politicians who reject facts in favor of short-term poll-driven politics?
All politicians will do what it takes to win, but as I see it, and granted it's subjective and influenced by what I read and where I read it, Obama has at least more often, and to my mind more courageously, stepped outside the GOP style framing and has rejected the poll driven politicking to a greater extent. That's why I think he deserved my vote and yours.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Gas Tax Holiday'? GRRRRRR!!!

Why don't we just rename the whole summer: "Petroleum industry profit enhancement season"?

2:55:00 PM  
Blogger expatbrian said...

He got my vote from 8,000 miles away and you're exactly right. And I firmly believe that Obama has the better, if not the only chance of possibly opening up a dialogue with the countries that currently hate us the most. And we need to do that in order to regain any semblance of international cooperation and reputation. Hilary cannot command the respect that is needed and McCain is a joke.

10:24:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

I agree with both Libby and Brian. I think the striking thing that sets Obama apart is that he has researched the issues, chosen his stance and not waivered. And I believe he will work tirelessly to open avenues of diplomatic conversation toward peace. I can get behind that. Tuesday I'll put my vote where my mouth is.

1:47:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Kvatch, they could call every summer that. I just found out they don't refine gas in the summer which is why it gets so expensive, at least partly.

Brian, I don't know why we can see the importance of foreign relations and the damn pols can't.

Rocky, I can't believe you didn't vote early. I'm glad I did. I think the lines are going to be brutal today.

7:25:00 AM  
Blogger rockync said...

For me to vote early I have to go to the county seat which is 30 miles away. I voted today at the local elementary school like usual and didn't have to wait at all. Don't forget I live in a town of 3,000. No exactly a metropolis. :)

7:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home